Tuesday 16 October 2007

Buy Nothing Day

http://adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd//

Ok, I know being anti-consumerism is hypocritical for me given how much random stuff i buy. Well, it might be that i'm shopping addicted which is not a good thing.

Now, giving up shopping for one day shouldn't be too hard. I just have to not leave the house or use the internet. But what about, say, not shopping for one day a week? Can i do it? Have i done it recently?

Today's not going to be the day this week, i bought a weave-it loom on ebay which is being posted from America. Yesterday was not good either. I bought 7 cones of beautifully coloured 22-micron merino 2-ply lace weight yarn. (drool) It was posted today! Right... Sunday, i bought food and a cat toy. Saturday, dinner at Chantal's b'day and a train ticket. Friday, beads ($3 gemstone chip strands, i bought quite a few) and leather for slipper soles. ($7 for a nice pile of small pieces of expensive suede!)... Thursday. Sunspun, sufficient RYC cashsoft for a Debbie Bliss cardigan (gorgeous ribs and cable motif at center lower back)... Now Wednesday, i don't really remember wednesday. Oh checking facebook looks like i was here at uni until 10pm. On facebook. I don't remember that morning but there's a fairly good chance that i didn't buy anything.

Yay! I found a day where i didn't buy anything! (this really isn't looking good though)

I'm going to officially declare Wednesday a no buying day. I'll post here on Thursday so everyone'll know how well i do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.